Deborah - Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Jiminy Cricket and a Spoonful of Sugar

Since pinpointing your personal philosophy is such a serious undertaking, I had wanted to write about something deeply moving and soulful, like faith or courage or compassion. But although I do enjoy a heavy conversation at times, it seems that when it comes to my internal values or belief system, all that comes to mind are Jiminy Cricket and a Spoonful of Sugar. Disney lyrics are my foundation.

Do not think that I take things too lightly or that my life is based on the silly or frivolous. My values are serious and firmly rooted. It is just that the dialogues that run in my head tend to rhyme and have a catchy tune. I grew up in the sixties in a small town in Colorado. A gas station in town was giving away record albums as premiums. We earned Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee and Steve and Edie albums by filling our tank. One day when I was about four, Daddy came home with a Disney compilation. From that day forward I was hooked. I would sit on the floor in front of one of the speakers of our console stereo and sing at the top of my voice along with Snow White, Mary Poppins, Jiminy Cricket and Baloo the Bear.

Lines like, “always let your conscience be your guide,” “when I laugh, it makes me a happier me,” “remember, you’re the one who can fill the world with sunshine,” “with a smile and a song. . . .,” “if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true,” “feed the birds. . . .,” “love is a song that never ends,” “whistle while your work,” and yes, “someday, my prince will come,” became my consciousness. From them I learned about faith, courage and compassion. It’s not that my parents didn’t guide me during my formative years. They were marvelous role models. . . (practically perfect in every way!) They spoke volumes about the Golden Rule and the Word. But louder and much more fun than theirs, the voices of Julie Andrews, Burl Ives, Mary Martin, Ed Wynn and Dick VanDyke filled my head, and what they sang filled me with inspiration, hope, idealism, a sunny outlook and the conviction that there will always be a happy ending.

Of course, not many years later, in a jaded, twisted world full of political unrest and moral upheaval I would sit in front of that same stereo and sing along with Joan Baez, The Doors, Credence Clearwater, Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell, but although those artist’s lyrics hold meaning and moved a whole generation into revolution, it is the Disney lyrics that built my house of bricks and the solid foundation of my beliefs.