Martin - Lakewood, Colorado
Themes: sports

I Believe March Madness is the Greatest Thing since Sliced Bread

This I believe: March Madness, the NCAA basketball tournament that takes place annually each spring, is the best sporting event in the world. The beauty of March Madness is that any team can win the whole thing. Last year George Mason out of the Colonial Athletic Association made an unbelievable run all the way to the Final Four. They were the “Cinderella” team of the tournament because no one thought they would make it out of the first round, much less make it to the Final Four. Because any team can win it all, March Madness is the best sporting event in the world.

Every year it seems like there are teams like George Mason that get everybody’s attention with a couple of surprising upsets. To win the championship, all a team has to do is go on a six game winning streak to finish the season. That is easier said than done because on any given day an upset can happen that ends the season for a higher seeded team. For instance, a few years ago, little known Gonzaga University made a strong run in the tournament and now almost everybody knows who they are. Because any team can make a run to win the NCAA championship and become a household name, that is one of the best reasons, if not the best reason, to watch the NCAA tournament.

I have been watching the NCAA tournament since I was a little kid and I just keep watching it because of all the upsets and all the excitement of not knowing who is going to win until the final buzzer sounds. My favorite memory from the tournament was when the University of Arizona won the championship in 1997. They were such a fun team to watch with Mike Bibby, Miles Simon, and Michael Dickerson. Lute Olson the coach of the University of Arizona is my favorite coach and he is one of the main reasons I want to become a college basketball coach.

Overall, March Madness gives mid-majors a chance to shine and go up against the big boys during a tournament where anything can happen. The Super Bowl in football, the World Cup in soccer, and the Bowl Championship Series in college football are all great, but in my opinion, nothing compares to March Madness. It is simply the best.