Melisa - Irving, Texas

Some people can get hurt by hearing other people’s conversations, arguments, and conflicts. I was traumatized when I saw my parents struggle with their marriage. Hearing the words that came out of each others mouths, and seeing the objects that flew across the room landing with a big splatter of broken glass affected me into being a different person. That’s why I believe children shouldn’t be put in a situation where two loved ones are in a crisis need of help.

Although my parents didn’t mean to put me in so much stress and tension, it made me wish that they weren’t together anymore. Sometimes I felt I was part of the problem, and when they asked for my opinion I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t want to agree with either one of them, and I didn’t want to disagree. I wanted to make them both feel that I was with them no matter what, but I always felt left out for some reason. More attention went to my older brother, and I was living in my own little world feeling lost and lonely.

I dreamed to have the sweet life that my friends had; party every weekend, shopping for the best clothes, and even after wanting all of that, I wished I would have the type of family they did. I wished that everyone loved and cared for one another, and I wished for peace within all of us. In the end, the dreams I thought I wanted, didn’t really matter to me, as much as the wishes that I wished for.

Now that things have settled down, I have a dream to reach out to kids that go through this everyday of their lives. I want to make a difference in someones life by helping them with their troubles, whether it be parent problems, school problems, or life overall. Sometimes, people just need to be heard and that’s why I believe in helping others when they are in need of help!