Justin - 06896, Connecticut

What happened to all of “real world” skills classes?

When signing up for classes my senior year, i signed up for the required and the classes that interested me the most, but after reviewing my submissions to my guidance counciler only then did i realize, all my classes except one or two was college prepatory. I understand in a high school like mine that over 90% of our students proceed to college, but what about those other 10%? what classes do they get that will generally help them for life to come post-high school? I signed up for our EMT course offered at JBHS because i wanted a change of my college prepatory classes like pre-calculus.

The first day of class my teacher told me, “I’m not going to tell you this class can be applied to real life, because it really can’t but concepts to come will help you in further maths.” Of course to most of us he was referring to math courses in college and for the juniors in my class he was referring to calculus next year. Talking to alumni five and ten years past only furthur interested me in this issue. Home economics? Shop? Auto? Nope, my school offers none of the above.

Classes i would all be interested, even home ec, all a change from the regular classes of which most students see as not helping them once they get into the “real world.” Sure, lots of the classes i take can be related to life, but its much harder to make a connection between these and classes that directly show us “daily life” skills.

After further looking into my schools catalogue of classes another “life skills” based class i found was personal finance. Thinking about my knowledge of this class i was taught it was a joke, and a way for most seniors to fill their math credit senior year. I was distraught over this, our 2nd real world class that has potenial to teach us much needed information about finance outside of high school, and seniors were using this for a so called “out.”

Its time to reintroduce some of those classes we all love and miss, and shift our ever changing high schools to offer a larger array of courses to people not furthering their education to college.