Marikis - Irving, Texas

I believe in laughter, especially when you can laugh at yourself. I’m not talking about a little smile. I am talking about the laughter that makes tears stream down your face, makes your abs feel like you just did 1000 sit-ups, and makes your smiling cheeks burn. Laughter is the most powerful medicine known to man.

After many episodes of stumbling and tripping throughout elementary school, I always wished for the day that all of my embarrassing moments would just wash away. Just all over and start out fresh. Being my self and not known as the class clown or you just pulled a Marikis. However, one day back when I remember I was in the mall and I was wearing a knee-high skirt and I had to go to the restroom really bad so I went. Well my stomach really hurt and it was quiet in there well I went into one of the stalls and I had some “gas” problems if you know what I mean. The restroom was silent. There was nothing I can do. And then it happened – I started to laugh…uncontrollably.

Well that wasn’t all I washed my hands acting all innocent like it wasn’t me, and I was still walking in the mall for another thirty minutes or so when I left and my sister started to laugh, I was confused. She pointed at my skirt and my part of my skirt was tucked into my underwear (Winne the Pooh to be exact). I turned all red but when I got home I just laid on my bed and started to crack. I couldn’t believe that I did that.

To me, the ability to laugh at yourself is a great gift. And nothing is better than having a gift be contagious. So the next time you do something embarrassing…just laugh. Trust me, it will work.