Rosa - Hialeah, Florida

I believe that my hands must touch every person. The feelings that rush with my blood when I heal are inexplicable but rewarding. I am exponentially becoming more addictive to this feeling. The more I touch someone’s life, the more I want to touch other people’s lives. It is empathy. I know what it is to be helped-it is magnificent. I have an instinct to be that person assisting people during crucial moments for I have an earnest desire to bring sighs of relief to people’s mouths.

Remember the last time you needed a hand. What would you have given and done to have that push and that help? I can only speak for myself. I could never repay someone for helping me in that time of despair, when I was being attacked by my own father. That night I had no place to go. In fact, I was not able to go home for about two years following that date. I fled to the airport – it is open 24/7 and there is security; I knew I could not get hurt there. A friend from my high school encountered and helped me. Her help was of a value of an immeasurable magnitude.

My grandmother is lying on the hospital bed, attached to a ventilator and unable to breathe on her own. As I caress her face, I tell her that everything will be okay if you believe you will get better. “Mima”, I say to her since that is what I call her, “You must fight for your life today if you want to live. You must push yourself to breathe profoundly and more frequently”. Shortly after I said that, she was breathing twice as much as the ventilator. Her eyes lit up with hope and my heart was filled with joy.

Knowing the feeling of being helped triggers my desire to help. I know that I can always give to every individual I encounter, in many ways and so can you. I’ve peeled my thick skin off and mingled myself where help is needed. It is only by touching that I can feel where help is needed. Voila! I send myself off on a quest to touch as many people as I can and discover the cries for help.