Samantha - San Antonio, Texas

As Popeye once said, “I am what I am, and that’s all that I am.” This couldn’t be more true for myself. I do believe that I am what I am. I don’t expect any more from myself than I know I am capable of, and I don’t pretend to be someone I’m not.

I remember in middle school, I “tried on” different styles. I started with “preppy” clothes, like Tommy Hilfiger, Old Navy, and many others that I figured all the preppy girls wore. After the prep phase came the skater phase. I was trying so hard to get into it, that I actually learned how to maneuver a skateboard. I was rather proud of myself, but I soon got bored of it. Not long after that, I began to dye my hair, wear black clothes, dark make-up, and paint my nails black. This phase lasted longer for me than most people thought it would. I even had combat boots that I wore everyday. My parents had no problem with it, but I still didn’t feel like I could be comfortable with myself like this. I had changed so much, when I finally “found” myself, my friends actually started betting on when I would change my style and to what. I was speaking with one of my few intellectual friends and she quoted Oscar Wilde; “Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.” To this day, that will forever be my favorite quote, which also happened to change how I felt about my clothing styles. As long as I was comfortable, it didn’t matter whether I shopped at the coolest stores, or at the thrift store.

Towards the end of my eighth grade year, I donned Converse, jeans, and comfortable shirts. I cleaned the polish from my nails, and stopped wearing the heavy make-up, only using mascara sparingly. I finally became comfortable with myself and with who I was; the theatre girl working tech, the musician practicing her guitar, and the writer creating fantastical worlds of her own. I wasn’t ashamed of who I was, and I was no longer trying to be something I wasn’t. I knew my limits, and never expected more out of myself than I knew I was capable of doing.

I am still everything I was, only each day is getting better and better. I know who I am, and I am perfectly happy with that. This I Believe.