Sunnyrae - Irving, Texas

I believe that God should give everyone a second chance, no matter what that person did or how bad it was.

My dad was a major alcoholic. He drank two 48 packs of Coors Light each night. He was either drinking or passed out. He never had anything to do with the family; including me and my sister. There were many times that he was arrested right in front of us because he tried to commit suicide. He thought that was the only way he could ever stop drinking. One cop actually tried to explain to us what was happening. However, he didn’t know that my sister and I knew all about. But he was always given a second chance by the cops taking him to rehab for detoxification. But every time he got out, he started to drink.

One time, he got alcohol poising and was in a coma for 22 days. He almost died. By now, my mom, my sister, and I hated my dad. Why did he do this? But we went up to the hospital every night. One night I broke my arm at a skating party. My mom didn’t stay with me because she had to go see my dad (he wasn’t awake anyway). So my grandma stayed with my sister and me. I never forgave him for that. But again he was given a second. He woke up a couple of weeks later.

There were many times that my mom should have left. But she didn’t. She said it was a disease and that he couldn’t help it. I believed her. So she stayed, every time. I was so patient with my dad because well he was my dad. He was family.

Even though he was given more than enough chances, he is sober now for a year and a half. God let my dad live when he wasn’t supposed to. God was able to help my dad get sober. My dad was probably the worst person ever. He didn’t believe in God and always did something sinful. But God gave him a second chance and now my dad is my hero.