Rebecca - Plover, Wisconsin

Stop and think for a minute: what single force can make you break down and cry one minute and give you the energy and inspiration to win a race the next? Stumped? The answer is music.

I believe in the overwhelming power of music. Music has the ability to touch the soul and evoke emotions. It is the ultimate form of expression. A person’s taste in music reveals everything about their personality. Whether a person simply listens to music that moves them or has the blessed talent of playing music themselves, the experience will give insight into themselves and enhance their life.

My obsession with music began as a child when I watched Disney Sing Along videos and listened to kid’s tapes when I took baths. Piano lessons started when I was eight. When I played simple songs like Jingle Bells for my family and friends, I saw their faces light up and felt my spirits do the same. I vividly remember my second recital, when I played the theme from Beauty and the Beast–my favorite Disney movie. Nervously, I’d walked up to the stage and sat at the ancient grand piano, feeling my arms tremble as I lifted them with all my might to the keys. Once my fingertips made contact, I could feel their slippery perspiration soil the unblemished ivory. My mind fretted – what if I missed the first note? The notes on the page blurred in front of me. Yet I began flawlessly, my fingers flowing as if completely independent from my tense brain. Soon I was no longer aware of those watching me; I was at home, just me and the piano, in my own little world. Afterwards, many members of the audience approached my mom and piano teacher complimenting my performance. They were in awe that I hadn’t even been playing for a year.

By 5th grade I joined chorus and began to play cello. I wasn’t a particularly good singer, but being engulfed in the harmonies and unity of a large group brought my voice out anyway. I still sing in my car sometimes, or when no one’s around. I took up cello because I could barely produce sound out of band instruments, and all my friends played cello. When they all dropped out in the next two years, I found I loved cello so much that it didn’t matter. The feeling of the strings pressing beneath my fingers and the vibrations of the deep sound against my body are addicting. I can hear the notes blend together because of the gliding of the bow and the smooth motion of my fingers on the wood. I can just let my body play the instrument and enjoy the result with my mind and heart. Whenever I am feeling stressed, pulling out my cello or even listening to a CD calms me down.

Music is a huge part of who I am. I believe everyone should experience the emotional connections I felt when I put my heart into that Beauty and the Beast song, and in many songs after. Musicianship isn’t about notes, rhythms and theory; it is about putting part of you into the music and making it reflect you. Had another person played Beauty and the Beast with the exact same music as I, the song would certainly have sounded different. Music comes naturally and provides a lucid and refreshing relaxation from such a hectic world. I believe that music can improve the lives of all types of people and should be embraced and appreciated for the power it possesses.