Britttney - Plover, Wisconsin

Last year, on a Wednesday night, I got a call from my boyfriend. I was happy to talk to him, and started telling him about my new job at the YMCA. Then, all of a sudden, I heard the words that no one wants to hear: “We need to talk.” A month and a half is not a very long time to be dating someone, but the breakup was so sudden, and I was hurt. The next day at school, I told my friends what had happened. They told me it was okay, and were there to comfort me in any way possible. Friends are always there to tell you it’s okay, and it is his loss, even though you know it may not always be true. These words comfort you if they come from a friend.

I believe in my friends. They come support me, whether it be in softball or gymnastics, they are there, cheering me on. They are there to say “Brittney, that floor routine was so good,” or, “Brittney, that throw from shortstop was the worst thing I have ever seen.” They are the people who can be honest with you, and not worry about what you may think of their criticism. My friends are the ones that I experience all of my embarrassing moments with. They are there with me to jam out to N’SYNC and the Backstreet Boys, whenever I feel the need for a blast from the past.

I have known Tia since seventh grade. When we met, we clicked right away. We are both outspoken, outgoing, and love the game of softball. Tia is one of those people who is friends with everyone, but I never had to worry because I knew that Tia and I would always be close. Then Rachael moved to town. So naturally, Tia began to talk to her and they had become friends. I never thought I would ever be jealous of another one of Tia’s friends, but I was. It was hard seeing my best friend become good friends with a girl she just met. I kept telling myself that I wasn’t being replaced, and that Tia was just being nice. But the more they hung out, the more jealous I became. I figured that if she really was my best friend, she would understand my concerns and why I thought I was losing her.

Friday afternoon came, and I decided lunch would be a good time to bring this certain subject up. So we sat down in a booth at Hardees, and I told her what was on my mind. It wasn’t that I didn’t want her hanging out with Rachael, but I would like to be included in some of the things they did, so as time went, I could also become one of Rachael’s friends. We talked, and she told me she understood. If you are true friends with someone, you are able to work through any problem. No force is strong enough to stand between you. In a true friendship, you have to give more than you take. I believe that friendship, though hard at times, is rewarding in the end.

My friends are my security blanket when the cold winds of breakups and bad days blow away my self esteem. They are there to give me a boost when I need it the most. They are the nets that catch my teardrops after a tough day. To me, my best friends are my life, my world, and my everything.