Amanda - Chicago, Illinois

Music Defines Who I Am

I believe that music has the power to define a person’s character, and ultimately shape a person’s life. Music can make a person laugh, cry, or even smile. It can change relationships, and views on certain beliefs or issues pertaining to the individual who listens to it. During my entire life, the art of music and its talented artists have continually guided me throughout hardships and past relationships. It’s safe to say that music has been my rock, and has helped me to channel my feelings, thus making me a better person overall.

I believe that music makes me feel compassionate. During my pre-teen years, I was always quite the tomboy. I never expressed any emotions, and when I did, it was usually a fit of rage, or a nasty attitude. My mom tried reasoning with me, and later introduced the legendary Al Green, Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington and Etta James to my “musical world.” I was speechless. Even at fourteen, I began to appreciate those “real singers” and got lost in their every lyric, and beat. The way these artists captured their true sentiments was completely amazing. It’s like you could tell exactly how they were feeling, and it made me more appreciative, and also, more benevolent to people in general.

I believe that music makes me feel like a stronger human being. I’ve had some rocky relationships throughout my past, concerning my family and friends. I’ve learned through Christina Aguilera, Corinne Bailey Rae, Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, Incubus, Coldplay, Kanye West, and countless others, to cherish what I have, and let go of the things or people who are not good for me. I know now not to dwell on the past. And I also know that although my family is dysfunctional, they are still my blood, and I need to value the relationships I have with them.

I believe that music has magically made me allergic to boys, and their bullshit. Listening to Kelis, Lil’ Kim, and Ciara has empowered me, and made me realize that men aren’t everything, and that a female should never be controlled by them. And in regards to boyfriends and their cheating, I now know to “Ring the Alarm”, and just go crazy on their ass, thanks to Beyonce.

I believe that music has strengthened my personality, and made my sense of humor that more pleasurable for my friends. Tenacious D and Mickey Avalon have contributed to this, and they have both made me take into account that you should have fun, and not be so serious all of the time. You only have one life to live, and you should make it count.

I believe—I know, that music is and will always be an essential factor in my life, and that it will always be there for me, through thick and thin.