Armen - Kerrville, Texas

I believe in the power of time. I believe in the power of time spent with a child. I believe in the power of time committed by volunteer mentors. As adults, it seems, we are always consumed with our car payments, mortgages and groceries. In contrast, children are consumed with sharing laughter, playing a game or eating an ice-cream cone. As a Big Brother Volunteer in Kerrville Texas, I observe the significance and power of time everyday. Such a small word, yet so critical for all children who need positive guidance and interaction. Mentors make a commitment to consistently meet with their Little Brother or Little Sister. ‘Bigs’ and ‘Littles’, as they are referred to, spend time together by going to the park, watching a movie, reading, sharing a soda or simply having a conversation. Research shows that children who have a Big Brother or Big Sister are less likely to start using drugs and alcohol. They are less likely to skip school, have increased confidence in their schoolwork, and they are more likely to have positive relationships with their peers and family.

What really inspires me is the commitment volunteers make. The fact that volunteers make the time to show they care is truly inspiring. There is a saying that “the best thing to spend on your children is time.” Big Brothers Big Sisters knows this and the volunteers help make it possible.

It is also the time that parents in our program spend trying to make sure their children thrive in a positive and nourishing environment. The majority of parents who enroll their children are single parents. There are an enormous number of challenges faced by our children today and these challenges are only compounded for kids with only one parent.

Finally, as a Big Brother to Tyler, who is 14y/o, I hope I have had some impact on him because he definitely has on me. He has taught me a great deal and means so much to me. He has taught me it’s not about going to a fancy dinner or going to an NFL game…although those things have been nice too. We used to talk about video games and have water gun fights. Now, we’re talking about colleges and his aspiration to become an engineer. I’m also listening to him master the electric guitar. Tyler has taught me that it’s all about the TIME I spend with him. Sometimes doing not much at all, is doing everything for a child. After 3 years of spending time with Tyler, I know I have made a lifelong friend and I could not imagine my life without him

There is a quote I read from a book that states, “Children are the living messages, we send to a time, we will not see” Let’s work together so that our living message shows our commitment to helping children in our communities. Take the time today to learn more about becoming involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters.

Call 1-888-412-BIGS or www.bigbrothersbigsisters.org