Sarah - Plover, Wisconsin

During the piece, I had to find my tail because that was the whole point. I found mine and I kept on dancing. Why do I dance? Why do I breathe? Its because I’ve been doing this for so long that I can’t give it up now. When I’m in a bad mood, I’ll go to the studio and dance until I feel better. If I’m happy, I’ll do the same. Like some people turn to others for help, happiness, love and shelter, I turn to dance.

When I was about 5 ½ -6 years old, I had my very first recital. I remember this recital like the back of my hand. It was my very first time performing on a stage in front of hundreds of people not knowing what they were going to say about me, or the other dancers while performing. The first outfit I had was a bunny. I had a satin pink leotard with silver sequins and a cotton ball tail and a little bunny ear headband. Also, I had to do my make-up like I was a little bunny. I remember I had my mom help me because I didn’t know how to do my own. I had a little black nose with whiskers made from black eyeliner, and pink blush on my cheeks. After I was done finding my tail, I didn’t know I was supposed to go off the stage, between the wings, like every other person in my class. My parents were sitting in the very first row and instead of going between the wings, I jumped off the stage and landed on the ground. My parents got it on tape, and I still watch and laugh at it to this day. I think that would probably have to be the most memorable moment from my dancing years.

Many people think that dancing isn’t a sport because dancers don’t work hard enough; I beg to differ on that subject. In my opinion, I think dance is a sport just as much as football, hockey or baseball. Dancers work just as hard, and suffer injuries just as much as other athletes. Something that most people don’t know about dancers is that you have to push yourself in order to be better than you were before. When an athlete gets hurt during a game, they are able to sit out and ice what they injured or do whatever it takes to get better. If a dancer falls off of pointe, extends their leg to far, sprains their ankle or bruises their knee cap, you have to push through it and keep on performing like nothing happened to you. You have to be dedicated in order to dance; it takes time and effort to become the best you can be.

I push myself to be better than I was before because this is only going to make me a stronger dancer emotionally and physically. When I’m doing pointe, I take my stress out on the floor while I’m on my toes and if I’m doing modern I’ll improvise my feelings into my movement that I’m doing. When its finally time for me to go home, I feel a whole lot better because I know that I’ve not only made myself happy, but I’ve made my teachers and others happy with my hard work and improvement.

At times I’m happy, at times I’m sad, at times I’m frustrated and at times I’m just simply in a bad mood. When I feel like this, I turn to dance.