Kimberly - Pittsfield, Massachusetts

I believe… well, I don’t really believe in much, at least not the typical stuff that people believe in. For example, I don’t believe everything I hear about God, and I don’t believe in fate. I’m far from religious, but I do live by my own moral code. I try to do right at all times, and I tend to be pretty rational. What I chose to believe in is the things that I’ve learned to be true and good throughout my short limetime thus far. Thus, I add to my beliefs all the time.

Basically, all my beliefs center around the fact that I believe that people choose their own destinies. People make their own decisions, and when it comes down to it, no matter how much pressure a person is under or how much other people are trying to affect the outcome decided by their actions, no one is actually forcing people to make any certain decisions. A person does have the final say no matter what; after all, they are in control of their own body and mind. Thus, people can make their own decisions about what to do with their lives, and about what is right and what is wrong; and if something does not go their way, they only have themselves to blame.

This leads into the other part of my belief system: that life is what a person makes it. If a person wants something bad enough, he or she has to go and get it, no holds barred, because generally, things aren’t going to fall into a person’s lap just because they want them to. A person sometimes has to fight for what he or she wants, and if a person leaves no stone unturned, no matter what the outcome of their actions, he or she can live with his or herself after. I believe in living life with no regrets.

I have learned in life thus far, that some people believe that holding back is fated, that they are meant to not move forward, because things will either come to them or they won’t. I believe that this is cowardice and a lack of real desire. I believe that there is no fate, there is only choice. And the summation of everyone’s choices add up to a collective outcome: the world we have created for ourselves and must face each day. And wouldn’t it be better to face one that you know you did everything you could to make it the best it can be?