Madeline - Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Themes: carpe diem

In reference to the movie “The Dead Poet’s Society”, my belief system is based on the saying “Carpe Diem” or “seize the day”. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be alive in this day in age and most importantly to be surrounded by loving and supportive family and friends. I try to live each day as if it were my last, because after all it very well may be.

To quote a very influential person in my life, “There is no reason to be bored. Life is too short not to enjoy every minute of it.” As a young child, my father preached this to me. And now I believe it with every last bit of my being. With the passing of each day I see the lives of so many people come to an end. Whether it be U.S. soldiers killed by roadside bombs in the Middle East, young children dying from AIDS in Africa, or the death of a middle-aged man or woman as a result of cancer, all I can think of is how they should have had so much more time to experience the wonderful thrills and emotions presented throughout the course of daily life. Why was their life cut short?

Perhaps the most puzzling and confusing aspect of my belief system is why others don’t appreciate their life on this earth. For some, day to day life may be an ongoing uphill battle, at times the struggle being so great that death seems like the easiest outlet for the pain and suffering. But death should never be an option. The very essence of the human soul is a priceless gift that should never be taken for granted or altered in any way, shape, or form. Mind altering drugs are a poor excuse to try to escape from reality. In my opinion, people who choose to abuse their minds and bodies in such ways are unappreciative of the gifts that God has given them.

Now I would like to share a few words of advice for those yearning to make the most out of life. First of all, always be positive. Being optimistic will always help to brighten up even the gloomiest circumstances. Next, wake up with a smile and look forward to the possible thrills and adventures that the day ahead may hold. And finally, be thankful for the blessings and gifts that have been given to you. The simple things in life are what bring true happiness.

So seize that day! Not just today, but each and every day that comes from waking up on this earth. Remember, no price can be put on a human life. Enjoy your time here, because in the blink of an eye, everything you took for granted before can come to an end.