Alison - Pittsfield, Massachusetts

I have this theory; if something is meant to happen it will. It doesn’t matter what path you take to get there, just that when the time comes it’ll happen.

It almost acts as a statement of reassurance. Didn’t get that job you’ve been going after? There’s something better out there for you. I know it’s not something that many people would agree with me on, but I firmly believe in predestination.

One thing people always forget is that we chose the lives we are living before we even came into this world. Therefore, we cannot change what is going to happen to us because it has already been decided. If this were thought of more often I truly believe that the human race would be much more optimistic towards failure. Isn’t that what we all need, a vacation from looking at the downside of everything and actually seeing the good in something? A little positivism never hurt anybody.

I don’t want you to think that I have always lived by this idea or that I am one of those crazies who honestly thinks I deserve every little thing that I get. I haven’t always believed in this, but in my seventeen years on this Earth I have learned and I have grown. This is my way of making sense out of what happens and what does not happen. Not to make it sound like an excuse, but like I said, a reassurance. We all need a little reassuring sometimes, and reminding myself that what is meant to happen will happen helps me keep my chin up high even when I fail miserably.