Sabrina - Pittsfield, Massachusetts

believe that no one is fundamentally good or fundamentally bad. I believe that people will not prefer to make the wrong choices. However I do believe that it is easier to make bad choices and that it does take a lot to not make those choices.

A lot of people take the easy way out just because it is the easy way out. Volunteering at my church’s soup kitchen I have seen some people go to the Soup Kitchen to eat and grab some food to keep them going either until the next day when they can get to another Soup Kitchen o until they get their next check. I have nothing against people who go to Soup Kitchens. In fact I am glad that they aren’t too proud to get help. If they need it then they are making the right choice.

What upsets me is that some of these people don’t need it. I have seen a women and her boyfriend (or perhaps her husband) go into the Soup Kitchen, eat supper, getting second and sometimes even third helpings. Then they of course grab some leftovers, a loaf of bread and whatever else is available to take with them. Again, this wouldn’t normally bother me, however, after clearing up the dining room and the kitchen, my group would often go out to Burger King across the street. Who do we find there but the same woman and her boyfriend. If they had enough money to get Burger King then they certainly had enough money to walk to the store, get a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread and some deli meat or peanut butter and jelly. The point is that these people could take care of themselves and were just unwilling to do so. For ever person who looks to get free stuff even though they have the means to get it themselves there are so many others out there who have nothing.

I believe that doing the right thing and helping those people instead o helping yourself is such a worthwhile thing to do. I know it is hard. That is why it is called not taking the easy way out. But I have been able to watch a little girl grow up through my work at the Soup Kitchen. She always has a smile on her face that is enough to brighten anyone’s day. I believe making the right choices makes you a better person. I believe you will get further in life when you make the right choices. And I believe that everyone is capable o making the right choices. It’s just a matter of whether they are willing to or not.