Kathryn - Waco, Texas
Themes: humanism

The World Is Not Enough

The world itself is not enough. The earth and its empty possessions cannot satisfy the deep needs that a human soul desires. As humans we have emotions. We need people. We need relationships. We need love.

A passion of mine has always been to reach and help others who have a need. Giving is the best way to receive fulfillment. I remember one Saturday I had volunteered to help work with a charity organization. The project for the day was to build a wheelchair ramp for a girl just a few years younger than I who had cerebral palsy. My assignment started early in the cold morning as our small team of volunteers unloaded the lumber and tools that were necessary. We then dug the post holes in the dry and rocky soil. This process was the hardest and took the most time and strength to accomplish. As this was finally completed we worked together to set the posts in cement and dig the trenches alongside for stability. Hours passes as we continued to work, some measuring and cutting wood, some still digging, and some nailing the platform together. Then the little girl came out to see us. It was our first time to meet her, and she sat in her wheelchair in the doorway and talked to us while we worked. She was the sweetest girl to talk to and only inspired us to continue to keep working even with the dirt and sweat and splinters. We were putting on the finishing pieces as the sun was setting and the girl took her first trip down her new ramp. It was her first time out of the house in months. Her smile and the joy and relief on the face of her mother made all the work worth it. The entire day’s work had come down to this and it was completely worth it.

As I remember that day and what we accomplished I realize that there was absolutely no better way that I could have spent my Saturday. No mall, no movie, no game, no sport, no concert could have been more worth my time. I believe the only true joy and satisfaction come from people, from changing lives and building relationships. Humans need other humans because we make a life by what we give. The only thing that can complete us and fill our hearts with joy is sharing love. The world itself is not enough.