Marie - West Nyacl, New York

Has there ever been a moment in your life when you were just so unhappy that you thought things would never get better? Have you ever seen someone who looked so gloomy that you felt bad for them and wondered what could possibly make them feel that way? I have had both these moments, leading me to believe that everyone deserves the chance to happiness. There are many things that could get a person down.

There was a point in my life when I was past the point of being unhappy, I was miserable. No matter what I did, I could not make myself be happy and upbeat like I usually was. The reason I was unhappy was depression. I also found out that you cannot force yourself to be happy; it is something you have to truly feel. After taking medication and with the love and support of my family and friends, I became better and I am now able to smile more often than I was.

This is something I wouldn’t wish upon my worst enemy. Once you feel unhappy, it is there for at least a day. It is one of the worst feelings that anyone could ever feel. Everyone deserves at least one chance to be happy if but for one moment in their life. Everyone needs a moment of pure bliss in order to function as a human being. Everyone has the ability to feel happiness; some just need a little help to achieve it. The feeling of being happy is something that should not be taken for granted, because that feeling can vanish as quickly as it has come.

Every now and then, I think back to that point in my life when I was miserable and I smile to myself. I smile because I know that if I ever feel like that again, there is a way for me to become happy. That is a point that I would never want to go back to and I know I have overcome it. I am truly the happiest I have been in years at this point in my life. It is a feeling that I will cherish forever, as should everyone else. Whenever I know someone is unhappy, I try to help make them happy again. I try to do something that will make them happier. Everyone should take this as an example and help each other. If people were to help each other, then they would not be as unhappy.