Brittany - Pikeville, Kentucky

I loved every aspect of high school. I made excellent grades, played sports, and had tons of friends. I always had somebody to turn to whether I was having boyfriend troubles or just wanted to laugh and have fun. As my senior year was coming to an end I was ecstatic about starting college. I dreamed of all the fun, friends, and freedom that it would hold. I was loaded down with homework, transitioning to being away from my friends and family, and just stressed at the whole situation and finding myself with nobody to turn to.

Before college began I thought that not having anybody from my high school come to Georgetown was going to be good, a chance to start a new life away from my hometown and the people I had known my entire life. However, when I found myself alone in my dorm room in a new place I began to change my mind. By nature I am just a quiet person. Besides this fact, I didn’t realize that being in college meant that you were forced into a more independent life, that I was not used to. A life where you actually had to make your own decisions, wake yourself up in time for class, and regulate time for having fun and studying.

Throughout my first semester, I feel that I was truly tested emotionally and spiritually. For the first couple weeks I just hung out in my room with my roommate. I had built up a bubble that I felt comfortable in. I realized that I had nobody else to blame but myself for my loneliness. I now believe that you must step out of your comfort zone. This at first was very hard for me. I had to force myself to get involved and initiate conversation with people I might not have with before.

Although, I was beginning to meet new people I still found myself doing my own thing a lot of the time. I first perceived this as a bad thing. Even at home I would always have my sister to hang out with. This new sense of independence led me to the discovery that you can be your own best friend. I realized that I did not always need somebody to be happy. Before long I found myself longing for the privacy and alone time that I had never had at home.

These two vital lessons that I have learned during my first semester in college I believe have greatly impacted my life. I feel now that I am a much stronger person than I was prior to college. I feel that I have grown socially as well as emotionally. I am grateful to have learned these lessons early on because I don’t think I would have been happy or been able to fully have the college experience until I had. I believe that to be truly happy you have to be happy within yourself.