Jorge - DeSoto, Texas
Themes: respect

J. Emilio Flores

This, I Believe…essay: Respecting Others

Respect is a tricky concept to some people and an easy topic to others. To all people however, respect mostly comes in two forms of in terms of acquiring it. Either you start out with none and must earn it, or have a certain amount already determined by your status or rank. I believe that neither of these is fully correct.

The first seems demeaning because even if you have more experience and wisdom than someone who doesn’t, you are treated as an equal to that person. The second seems wrong because even if you have more experience and wisdom than someone who doesn’t, that person may still be above you in rank or position or seniority, for whatever reason like their resourcefulness, likeability, or something else. The correct way should be a good balance of these two, a hybrid of sorts. A person should be respected because of their standing, but should be able to gain or lose respect according to their actions and choices.

The judge of this person’s respect can only be the other people around observing the person; one can only hope that the people judging have the sense and maturity to correctly judge the person’s respectability.