Matt - Irving, Texas

Check your brakes

One fine day in Hollywood Universal Studios, California, my grandparents, my cousin, and my parents were all ready to take the VIP tour of the back lot of the studios. It turns out our travel agent messed up and we then had to return to our Kia Sedona mini van to figure out what to do with the rest of the day. Then my aunt Carrie comes up with (what she thinks) a wonderful idea, “Hey everybody, lets go to the Burbank Media Center Mall. It should be a lot of fun.” Of course no one wanted to go because it was like any old mall in Texas. But my Aunt finally dragged us all into going with her. So my cousin and I break off from the rest of the group to get some time to ourselves. We end up going by a sporting goods store. The entire vacation I had been looking for a hoodie and a sporting goods store must have them, right, WRONG!!!! All this sporting goods store had was a three wheeled tango scooter with no brakes! I should have checked the brakes before I tried it out. But, me, being the cripple that I am, decided to ride the scooter up and down the hallways of the fitness center. At this point I figured out the scooter had no brakes. I tried to stop by leaning way back. Turns out you do stop when you lean back, but you can’t quit stopping. I say this because that stupid scooter made me flip over backwards and I basically sat on my leg really hard and that made me unable to walk.

My dad came in after my cousin called him to alert him that “Matt hurt his ankle!” So my dad tried to get me to walk on it. That didn’t work so they did a fireman’s carry and got me out of that store and onto the front seat of the mini van (which was great because the other days of the vacation I spent in very back seat where there is no leg room and a big lump in the middle of the seat). So any way, we finally found a clinic called LA Clinic and Orthopedics and we went inside. There we met Dr. Cho. The most out there doctor on the face of the earth. Her assistant came in the X-Ray room and lowered the towering object over my leg to get a picture of the bone. I heard a click and she said that I was done and to just lay there until the prints are done printing. I said ok and she went about her business. Then Dr. Cho came in the room and with a big piece of black paper and a frown. It turned out this piece of paper was the x-ray I looked at my ankle and every thing seemed fine. I asked, “What’s wrong with me then, why can’t I walk if my ankle hasn’t got a scratch on it?” She exclaimed that I needed to look above my ankle. I did and I was in shock. I had broken my shin bone. They gave me Tylenol Extra Strength with codeine to numb the pain. It worked a little. After the 4 days I spent in the bed of our hotel it was time to board a plane and leave LA. I gladly took my pills and got on the plane. We arrived home and the next day went to see a real doctor. I was in therapy for another month and finally was released from the accident four months and twelve days later.

This story really does have a point behind it. See, checking your brakes are a part of your daily life. Not apart of your car, but apart of everything. If you go to fast at something and can’t stop, you’re going to hit it face on and take it. Sort of like at school when you have grades that need improving, and you never do anything about it until the last day, it shows up on the report card. That’s why you put on the brakes and go slow. Then you can get a good foundation for fixing your grades. This I believe.