Liseht - Irving, Texas

Small children that will never grow because of the malnourishment they receive.

There are people more fortunate than them that are relaxing in home with cabinets full of food. These people that have homes and food do not know what it’s like to worry if they will wake up the next day, not only should people appreciate but also give.

As a child, I did not care I lived my life like any other child, with no worries. I hated to eat. My diet as a child consisted of candy and my mom’s lipstick. It didn’t present itself as a challenge for me to eat some other food, but there were things that I truly despised so I would get a mouth full and say, “I need to go to the bathroom.” The door of the bathroom became locked by me and I tore some toilet paper from its roll and I would spit the food into it, wrap it up, and throw it into the trash where nobody dared to explore. This process lasted for a week before my parents found out. I was under their watch, making sure the food was consumed. I, like any other kid, despised vegetables. Kicking and screaming became my best performance when vegetables became forced into my mouth. Once, for some odd reason my mother served green beans. I shook my head at the gruesome sight of those green monsters. My dad told me I would not leave the table until I those monsters ceased to exist. I sat there with a frustrated look on my face. I eventually chugged them after an hour of staring at them and freedom obliterated my cage of imprisonment.

Then that one Sabbath arrived to knock on the door of my life. I twitched, for I scornfully wore a pink ruffle dress in church. I attended a class with others of my age learning about God. I loathed it so much that instead of going to class I redirected myself to the bathroom until all students were in place. I wandered the vast dark halls and peeked into the main room were the adults were looking at a movie. I thought to myself, “Why do they get to watch a movie?” Getting a closer look I noticed a little boy that was abnormally scrawny. I stood watching many kids that had looks of innocence and sadness. The man talking spoke of hunger striking these children. I received the painful feeling of guilt. I felt remorse seeing kids that would be grateful for a piece of stale bread while I’m at home wasting food. That impacted my life and shaped the beliefs I posses today.

These days I give thanks for what I have and I give to those in need. People should give instead of complaining that they do not posses the latest style of shoes. They shouldn’t buy a shirt and wear it twice and throw it away. People should learn to appreciate and I should not feel sorry for myself when my parents force me to eat green beans. This, I believe.