Savannah - Milliken, Colorado
Themes: prejudice

What so Different Between Black and White?

For many years, racism has shown in many people. Racism is one thing that destroying the world. I believe that racism should be ended and all people should be treated equally.

I agree that racism has gone down a great deal, but it’s not completely gone. I believe that black Americans deserve better than is given to them, such as higher pay and more respect. I’ve heard people say that they aren’t racist then I see them act differently around a black American. There might not be slaves and people might not say harsh things to black Americans, but there are different ways to show racism.

I believe the only reason that African Americans are treated differently is because of their history. If Caucasian Americans wouldn’t have taken slaves in the past, then there maybe wouldn’t be a problem between skin colors today.

One thing I have noticed is Caucasian Americans usually have better houses and healthier families than black Americans. One reason for that is because Caucasian’s usually get jobs with better pay. That’s how it was in the past and that’s how it is still in some places. With that it is more difficult for black Americans to get jobs with enough pay to buy health insurance. It’s been proven that more black Americans die each year than Caucasian Americans. The reason for this is usually due to lack of money to buy medicines and health insurance. Just because someone has different colored skin, doesn’t mean that you are better than them.

I try to read a book every once in a while and it always figures that I pick up one about racism. A couple books that I’ve read are Burning Up and Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. Both made me sad and angry because of how people of a different race were treated. They were filled with violence and misery. After reading books like these, I began thinking about why it matters what color your skin is and how come Caucasian Americans became slave owners instead of the other way around.

I have a close friend named Darian and she is black. One day, when we went hiking in the mountains, her grandmother Ruth pulled me back to talk while Darian and my sister went ahead. Ruth asked me what I thought about Darian. I told Ruth that I really like Darian and then I questioned her about why she asked. Her answer stunned me. She said that where Darian comes from, she is treated differently. I concluded our discussion and said that I see no difference between us and then Ruth smiled. Ruth’s question kept troubling me so I finally talked to my mom. She explained that that’s just how the world is. Then she said the only way for me to help out right now is to not show racism myself. In all, I believe that there shouldn’t be racism in the world.