Haley - Johnstown, Colorado
Themes: equality

Equal Abilities

I believe in everybody having equal abilities in a way that girls can do the same things that boys can do, and boys can do anything girls can do. I believe in girls and boys getting to do the same activities. In movies, and T.V. show, I always notice that boys are the ones playing the sport such as football and basketball, and the girls are with pom-poms cheering them on. I believer, that all of that can be reversed with everything being the opposite as T.V. shows make you believe. I believe in girls getting to be the football players or basketball players, and the boys can cheer them on. It doesn’t matter if you are a boy or a girl, I believe in everybody getting to do the same activities.

First, I believe in us all being equals. One day at school we were having indoor recess because of harsh weather, and I was playing basketball with my twin sister and my friend Becky against the boys. All of us girls play competitive basketball, so I knew we could beat the boys. When my team beat the boys who play competitive also, everybody was awing! One of the boys said, “You guys just got schooled by girls!” That comment then made me angry. I went up to them and said, “SO!” I got really mad and I told them that it doesn’t’ matter if girls beat boys or boys beat girls; we all have a chance, no matter what gender.

Next, I believe in striving for what you believe in, no matter what others say. If you are a girl, and you want to try-out for football because you know you are really good, don’t be afraid to try-out. If you are a boy, and you absolutely love to sew, enter a contest. I don’t care what other people ting or say, because if it is something that I want to do, I strive to reach and do it.

Lastly, I believe in never giving up. When I play basketball against the boys, I never give up, because when I do, I don’t achieve anything. When you do something that you are competing against the opposite gender, people will laugh, and say you aren’t good enough. I never gave up, and I beat the boys, and now everybody at that basketball court is a little anxious to play my team and me, and I am extremely happy about that.

Finally, I believe in everybody having equal abilities, in all of us being equals, striving for what you believe in, and never giving up. NO matter what kind of gender you are, go in and do what you want to do. Don’t let your gender stop you.

“This I believe,” and will carry with me the rest of my life.