Tasha - Irving, Texas

This I Believe: A Source of Motivation

Engaging in any creative project or something dealing with rankings or scores, I feel a sense of power, something that drives me to always try to do better than the next person. In any situation where I know I have the power to excel, I take that knowledge and put it to use. Last year, in eighth grade English class, we had to come up with a product and advertise it on a poster using one of the Greek gods or goddesses. For my project, my Greek goddess was Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty. Coming up with good idea takes me a long time, usually about two or three days, or it ends up being a last minute project, depending on the time limit I have, and the size of the project. My idea of a creative project is to come up with something out of the ordinary, unexpected and clever. Of course, with my “gi-normous” amount of drive, I tried to come up with the most original idea I could think of.

It had been probably three or four days since the project was assigned. I was still looking for something that would inspire me. Towards the upcoming due date, I never really found anything, but there’s rarely ever a time when I’ve come up with an idea early in the process. It took me until the end of time, but after I finally came up with multiple ideas on how to design my poster, it was worth the amount of effort I put into it. The name of my product was Aphrodite’s Homes, with the slogan, “Where beautiful homes are found.” In my project, I used cardboard and magazine clippings of people to create a 3D type setting of the interior of a house. It took hours to get coloring done and get the cardboard standing straight, but I was just glad to have it finished and at the same time have it look presentable.

On that Friday, everyone turned in their posters. When I took it to school, some people had complimented me on the work I did on my poster. Some of those people were teachers, and they didn’t know me, but they said I did a good job. When it was finally time to go to our English class, my teacher announced that our posters would be judged by others that work outside the school, and we’d get the results back by next week. I wasn’t worried about my grade because of the confidence others had given me.

After a week had passed, everyone anxiously awaited to see who won the contest in our class. We were surprised to hear that more than two or three people had won. Five others and I had won. The prize was two dollars, Oreo’s, and a few pages of stickers. It wasn’t much, but it felt good that I had won something for putting effort into my work.

I believe that ambition and effort can help you to get through any difficult task. Putting effort into things can be hard at times, but if you have the drive and motivation to complete these tasks you can accomplish anything. The time I spent on coming up with an idea source for my project was very limited, but my motivation to try to do better than everyone else allowed me to be one of the winners in the contest.