Stacy - Irving, Texas

Independent Work

I hate it when a teacher puts me in a group to do a very important assignment. If you want something done right you have to do it yourself. I strongly believe in that phrase that I hear people say a lot. Researching, typing and writing are too much for one person to do when it is a group assignment. Well that is exactly what I do when my teachers give out group assignments and that really aggravates me.

I never get any help from the people that are in my group when we have to work in groups at school. I just do all of the work. That is why I like to work independently. I know that most people wouldn’t do that, but I like to get my work done and get it turned in so that I can get a good grade and not fail that class.

The last group assignment that I did was for a test grade, and that was really a big deal to me. The assignment was for science. We had to do a power point on a disease that we picked from the teacher. I thought that the person that I was going to be working with would work really hard since she was the one that asked if I wanted to be her partner, and she seemed to be really into it. I was wrong of course and as usual I was the one doing all of the work. My partner did absolutely nothing at all to help with the power point. Then she was absent one day because she had to go bake a cake for one of her friend’s birthdays. I think that that was a stupid reason for her to miss school for. So I was stuck doing all of the work by myself. I’m not sure if she got a grade for it, but then again I don’t know because I never did tell this to my teacher. She wanted to help at the last minute. She told me that she would help me find the information that we needed to put on our power point, but she lied. At first she started looking for real, then not even a minute later she started checking her email and things like that. So I finished that whole power point all by myself. I don’t even think that I did all that good of a job on the power point. It was just too much for one person to handle, but at least I got it done. When it was time to present the project she tried to tell me how we were going to present it. Her way was that she was going to read all the slides until the last slide which was a map that she wanted me to do. There was no time to stand there and argue so I just did the last slide and then we were done.

Our teacher had given us this little sheet of paper were we had to rate ourselves and our partner. I was kind of nervous about that because I did not want my partner to get mad at me for how I felt about how she did on the power point, but then my teacher told us to don’t worry, that no one would see this but her. That made me feel a whole lot better, so I knew that I could put how I really felt. On the piece of paper that was handed out to us by the teacher there were just questions about how much work each person did, and we had to rate on a scale of one to five. I gave her a one on every single one of those questions. If I could have given her a zero I would have. I was hoping that my teacher would get the message when she saw my paper.

That is exactly why I do not like group work, and I believe that 90% of school work should be independent. And when we do a group project the teacher should find a really good way to make sure that every one is working in their group and not just one person.