Derek - Las Vegas, NV, Nevada
Themes: place

Big City or Small Town

I was driving through Prescott, AZ and I saw some kids playing baseball on a little field on the side of the road. It really made me miss my child hood and what I did when I was a kid. I started thinking in what ways are big cities and small town alike and at the same time different. If I was to grow up in Prescott I would like different things, say different stuff, and just be different. I’m happy that I got to grow up in Las Vegas, NV. I believe that I shaped me in the person that I am today. I think that there are a lot of similarities and differences in big city and small towns. It was great growing up in Las Vegas, because there were a lot of different things that I could do while I was growing up.

As I was looking at the kids playing baseball, I was trying to find something to listen too and I noticed how different the music is in Prescott is compared to Las Vegas. While I was growing in Las Vegas, one big thing my friends and I did was listen to music. Las Vegas has a little bit of everything to offer when I comes to radio stations, but one kind of music that you didn’t hear to much was country. The majority of the radio stations were rap and rock, but there like 3 radio stations that played country. When I came to Prescott it was the exact opposite. There are 2 radio stations that I have found that play rap, and they have so much static when you listen to them. I don’t think that there are that many county stations in Las Vegas is, because there aren’t that many kind of people that listen to that kind of music.

One thing that I couldn’t help but laugh about is how no matter where you go kids do the same kind of things. If you were to go to random cites or towns across the country or even the world, you will see that kids are always outside playing at parks or school fields. I remember when I was a little kid my friends and I would always ride our bikes down to the elementary school that was no more that 5 minutes from our houses. All of us had the same curfew, which was be home when the street lights came on. We would play baseball, football, basketball, and/or soccer until those street lights came on. The only time that we weren’t always outside was when it was “freezing” cold outside. Since I grew up in a desert, “freezing” cold was between like 40-50 degrees. On those days we all went over to a friend’s house and played video games. I thought that most kids were like that, but I was wrong. I asked a kid that was born in Prescott what he and his friends would do when it was “freezing” cold outside, and he said, “We would toughen up, put more clothes on, and just go out and play until they couldn’t feel their hands and feet.” Other than that kids do the same things no matter where you go. The difference in what kids do for fun change when we turn into high school students.

When I went into high school the cool thing to do on the weekends were go to the mall and go watch movies all night. We never really went out camping, fishing, or off roading just because it was such a far drive to go any of that stuff. It was a good 30-45 minute drive before you saw open land. We mainly stayed in the city and found stuff to do there. Here in Prescott it is a way different story. These high school kids would rather go out into the woods. In Prescott all you have to do is look out any where and find a place to go and do outdoor stuff. In Las Vegas you would rarely find wild life other that birds, but here you can drive like 10 minutes and you will be able to see deer or coyotes. I think one of the main reasons why “city kids” don’t go off roading or go fishing as much as “small town kids” is because in small towns it more accessible.

Small towns are more likely to be “sports towns.” In Las Vegas there isn’t that much emphasis on high school sports. In small towns kids are more driving to play sports, because it is either that or do nothing at all. When ever you see movies based on High School sports, you never see a big city. It is always a small town. I think that in small towns kids are told from a young age that their best bet on getting out of that town is to play sports, where in big cities it is something to do in high school. I know that for me my dad pushed me really hard in sports from a young age, but many parents in big cities didn’t push there kids as hard. I have a cousin who plays football in Graham, Texas, and he told me that in his small town they eat, breath, and sleep football. You don’t get that passion as much in big cities. Four days ago I went to watch Prescott High School baseball game and I was surprised to see how many people were there. I thought that it was going to be like Las Vegas, and have like 10 people come. But the stands were packed with parents and students. You don’t really get that kind of support in Las Vegas. I think that is because in big cites there are more important things that high school sports, but in small towns’ high school sports is all that they have.

I think that in small towns you follow the patterns of your parents and your older siblings, where in big cities you can follow pretty much what ever pattern you want. I wouldn’t trade growing up in Las Vegas for anything. There are similarities and differences when it comes to big cites and small towns.