Charles - DALLAS, Texas

In today’s world, people are hurrying from one place to another, oblivious to the people around them. Other people have become an annoyance, something to be disregarded in our all important rush of life. The cars on the road no longer hold other people with lives, dreams, goals and ambitions, they are simply cars that are not going fast enough, that cut us off, and make our rush take longer. People will honk, scream, yell and curse their way to where ever it is that they need to be.

I believe in the power of patience. A simple act of patience can make another person’s day just a little bit better.

I was sitting in traffic one day after work, enjoying the unexpectedly beautiful weather in Dallas on a February day. I had my iPod playing some random silly music and watching as the people around me rushed forward only to sit in traffic a cars length ahead of where they were. Ahead of me, a man in his BMW cut out of his lane, making the driver he cut off slam on his breaks. Oblivious to what was occurring behind him; the BMW Man zoomed ahead and cut back into his previous lane a few car lengths ahead of where he was. Glancing out of my passenger side window, I saw the driver that was cut off screaming and making rude gestures to the BMW Man. BMW Man’s lack of patience just made some ones day a little bit worse.

I decided show my patience during the rest of my drive and allow people the right of way, to show other drivers a modicum of patience and see if anyone would notice or care. The majority of my drive home, which took longer than it normally does, was a sign that some people still knew how to show appreciation for a little act of patience and kindness. As I neared my exit and started to dread the process of hoping some one would obey the law of yielding to oncoming traffic, I quickly reminded myself to show my patience to other drivers, regardless of traffic laws. It was here, in the mire of exiting traffic and those who avoided the freeway, that I was rewarded for my showing of being patient. As I allowed a middle aged man to exit from the shopping center to my right, he mouthed the words “Thank You”, waved towards me and nodded as he drove off. I had made that mans drive just a little better for less than 10 seconds of waiting.

Having patience during your day and showing other people that simple act of patient kindness can brighten not just their day, but your heart as well. Remembering that those cars around us are people and having patience with those people is a simple goal and can make a big difference in everyone’s lives. I believe in that.