Spencer - Grand Rapids, Michigan

There I was, on a bright, sunny day with the beautiful sunshine softly warming the earth, as well as the air surrounding me, to a perfect temperature. The forecast called for sun for the next few days. After a couple of days of pure, blissful sunshine, a cloud appeared and temporarily floated its way in front of the sun I so loved. I could still feel the warmth, though the sunlight was somewhat harder to see. Storm clouds moved in, until I could no longer see the sun. Though covered and out of sight, it still provided warmth. It would have been stupid of me to forget the sun’s existence. In instances such as this, and in more important matters, I believe in what I cannot see.

There are all kinds of things in this life that my eyes cannot see. Take for example, the wind. Without my sense of touch I wouldn’t know that the wind even exists. I’m sure I would see its effects, but I would not recognize them as the wind’s doing. In a sense, I would still be affected by the wind, yet I wouldn’t realize its existence.

My parents are always telling me that they love me, but there have been times in which, for one reason or another, I don’t hear those words for some period of time. Do I then forget that their love exists? Of course not. I know that they love me because I trust what they’ve said in the past, and because I see evidence of their love every day. I am very well fed, I am provided with a wonderful home, I am supported at my basketball games, I often find oh-so-handy gas cards on my bed, and I always have help available for any school assignment, among a multitude of other things.

Granted, this “evidence” could be credited to factors other than my parents’ love for me, but if one were to see and know the truth, they would see as I do, that the rock-hard evidence of my parents love is just that—evidence. The combination of hearing my parents tell me they love me and then seeing all the evidence of their love, has me believing, without a doubt, in their technically invisible love.

On yet an even more important, though similar, note, there is the love and the saving grace of my Savior that I believe in, even though it isn’t visible to my human eyes. Some might consider it silly to put my faith—my life—into something so intangible and so uncertain. I must say, however, that my beliefs are anything but uncertain. I am sure of the hope I have, even though it cannot be seen.

It may come across as almost comical that the absolutes in my life are far from visible to the human eye, seeing that an absolute is often thought of in terms of facts and proof. I am sure many people feel more secure trusting the tangible things surrounding them, but as for me, I believe in what I cannot see.