Rachel - Lagrange, Illinois

“This I Believe”

I believe in the power of music! Music takes me to different places; I listen to it and I can relax, I can relate, or I can realize something I might not have thought of or seen before. Another thing music does for me, is it affects my mood. Often times it can get me excited and really happy, or it can be slow and relaxing and help me fall asleep.

Last year, my traveling volleyball team qualified for the Junior Olympics. When we were invited to the tournament we immediately got excited and began to train very hard. We knew we had to add a little extra something to get us going and ready to compete at such a high level. We bought accessories that matched one another and so on but I still thought we could do something more. Then I realized, something that gets me pumped up before every tournament is my music! So, I went out and bought a boom box that ran on batteries and made a special CD just for my team. As we walked into the building where we were supposed to play, I blasted “We Will Rock You” and we all sang it and clapped to it on our way to the court! Everyone was happy and excited for the match and I believe that our enthusiasm had something to do with us winning that match afterwards.

The thing about music is that it’s a form of art, a form of expression, and you can either express yourself through writing it, singing it, or dancing to it. Music is at the base of many cultures because of the way it can bring people together to celebrate and the way everyone can understand it no matter what age, race, or gender they are.

I believe in the power of music because it brings meaning to everything around us, and is used in all kinds of places. Music inspires our patriotism during the Star Spangled Banner, and music is also is played at weddings to celebrate the festivity as well as signal the bride walking down the aisle. No matter who you are, there has got to be some type of music that you enjoy, and because this, music brings the world together making me realize even more how much I believe in the power of music.