Kathleen - Youngstown, Ohio

I believe I am blessed with the most meaningful of roles; mom to Nick and Emily.

Days are full with work, a husband, two children and all the craziness that ensues. I find that what everyone always used to tell me now rings true; as your children get older, time does seem to pass more quickly. I’ve enjoyed every stage of their lives, yes, even the adolescence I’ve been so often warned about. They are fifteen and seventeen years of age, but how could that be?

Memories of them roll like an old fashioned film strip, from one frame to another. The same children, who kept me up nights for a bottle, now keep me up nights while I wait for them to return home safely from a night out. Scary dreams don’t require the help of a hug, but life’s disappointments still do. And somehow, the urge to protect them from all that is not kind and wonderful, only grows as they do.

Ironically, it is in my middle age that I have discovered what I want to be when I grow up –a writer. It is for a myriad of reasons that I write; to relax, to express myself, sometimes because my thoughts don’t seem content to remain still within me.

Often, as now, those two roles, motherhood, and writer, collide as I find myself writing about those two children who mean so much to me. Soon, they will graduate from high school and my nest may or may not empty right away. But one thing is for certain, I may have found a new vocation, but I’ll forever cherish the one that continues to bless me the most; mom to Nick and Emily.

YESTERDAY……………………

Dedicated to Nick and Emily

By Kathleen XX

Yesterday……

I saw your face for the first time, looking at me as if you’d known me forever.

Today……

I’ll beam with pride as your face stands out to me amongst many others. We’re connected, you and I.

Yesterday……

You skinned your knee and I dried your tears and told you silly jokes to calm you.

Today……

You’ll stand tall as you walk to get your diploma. Even you will marvel at how quickly your high school years went by.

Yesterday……

I left you at pre-school for the first time, and then spent twenty minutes crying in the parking lot.

Today……

I went weak in the knees as I watched you don your cap and gown.

Yesterday……

You questioned me as you strived for freedom and independence for the first time.

Today……

That hard-earned independence will help you begin to choose your path in life.

Yesterday……

Friendship grew into something more, and you fell in love for the first time.

Today……

I know what loves means to you and that whomever you choose to spend your life with is a very lucky person.

Yesterday……

I knew that I would always be there for you.

Today……

Well, some things never change.