Macmillan - San Anselmo, California

I Believe In Technology

I believe in technology. In the future technology will rule human life. It already has gotten us closer to being able to do everything we ever wanted to do with just a click of a button. Without technology mankind would still struggle as predators, ripping the skin, bone, and flesh from animals with our teeth and hands.

At the beginning of time, when the first person grasped a rock to crack a nut, technology was born. When man struck the first flint onto a stone, and conjured fire, that springboard gave humans superior ability. Thomas Edison harnessed electricity, the spectacular servant of humans; people fainted at the sight of it. Electricity propelled humans with a stunning technological boost.

Today man relies on technology so much that in about two hundred years the world will be one giant city. Our planet will look like a science fiction movie, like Star Wars. With wires going across the sky, transmitting the molecules of a person who has teleported himself, the sky will become black with smog, nightlife booming. To some, the future looks bright, but to others the future looms bleakly.

Technology has been a spectacular find, but we must become more careful. If we rely on it too much, then eventually we will make every last piece of land inhabitable. We will start artificially making nutrients and sugars, but that will annihilate any crops, forests or mountains. We will build cities over nature and kill all animals. With every piece of land made urban, technology will conquer our planet, and in the process summon the willing power to destroy Earth. Technology is powerful, but the sinister side can be very grim.

The tides will turn and technology could be our demise, if we are not more careful. It will demolish everything. We will alter, expend or mutilate all natural resources. Soon after, mankind will be forced to go in quest of another planet to savagely crush, until there is nothing left and all inhabitable planets will be slaughtered like flies.

I believe in technology, as long as it is closely monitored.