Breeann - Beavercreek, Ohio

I believe in a little thing called artistic freedom. People should feel free to express themselves in whatever form they wish, without fear of being ridiculed. All my life, I’ve been insulted for my art. To some, I’m apparently another “carbon-copy” anime artist, who spends hours drawing “worthless crap”. I’ve also taken a liking to drawing men in dresses, and my peers seem to view it as “gross” or “wrong”. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been drawing in class when someone walks by, looks over my shoulder and says “WOW! You’d be a great artist if you didn’t draw stupid stuff like that! You’re wasting your talents”. It’s made me so self-conscious, that every time someone saunters by me, I hide my sketchbook so they can’t see it. I’m even shy with showing people my sketch books, because I think I’m going to get insulted. Even people who are supposed to be my friends shake their heads and call me a freak. It hurts knowing that people I trusted, say that kind of stuff about me… just because of my art. I’m really tired of being ashamed of what I draw. The world would be a better place if people didn’t have such narrow-minded views on art. If paint splattering on a blank canvas is “museum-worthy” art, why is anime so looked-down upon? It’s the same as any other style. Anime artists are just as passionate and talented as any other artist of a different style. Why are my fascinations and hobbies considered “odd”? What makes me so “weird”? I should be able to express myself without being told that I’m no good, or I’ll never be a good artist. I mean, if other artists can, why not me? This, I believe.