Rebecca - USA

My best friend has some difficulty. I don’t know exactly what it is, or how it got there, or when it happened, because I think she gets asked enough questions from curiously rude people that I myself don’t need to add to it. The only thing I know is that she has a tumor in her mouth that distorts her speech.

I met her in the beginning of sixth grade. We had some class together and after countless conversations we cant for the life of us remember what class it actually was. I just remember hearing her talk and sometimes getting frustrated because I couldn’t understand what she was saying. Until I had to sit by her where the conversation turned to one on one. I liked her sense of humor, which was easily relatable to mine. We quickly became friends.

I know many people when they are 11 years old would have opted out of being her friend; they wouldn’t have wanted to deal with struggling to learn how to understand how someone talks. Thankfully I looked passed it or I would have missed out on the best friend of a lifetime. She has been there for me thru thick and thin. She is the smartest person I know, pursing an education at the University of Michigan, and her heart is bigger than anyone I have ever met. I know I can always go to her for advice and she’ll give me the honest truth.

I believe it is important to look past people’s differences. Its better to get to know the person than to judge how he or she looks, acts, what they wear, or even how they talk. You could miss out on such a wonderful person if you judge others. It’s better to be open minded and let people you didn’t expect to like have a chance.