Emily - Western Springs, Illinois

In a lifetime, one experiences many failures; can anything good come from such bad experiences? The disappointment might seem to come around more often, but I believe if you look closely, you will see that from every failure, comes a success. With every failure, we learn something about ourselves, that this benefit we receive helps us to get a better insight of ourselves. For instance, I was in a terrible accident in fourth grade where I severely injured my leg, and had a long rode to recovery. For four years, I experienced numerous surgeries, crutches and physical therapy. I was forced to quit gymnastics, one of the activities I loved. Also during my entire eighth grade year, was not able to participate in the school’s sport teams. The year was disappointing, because I had been very athletic, and liked to be on the teams with my friends. Walking on crutches was not easy and I was always trying to keep up to my friends. There were times when I felt left out or left behind, because I could not run ahead or jump around. Often there were times when I would think to myself, why me? I felt I was a failure and that my life was ruined the day I stepped onto the trampoline, and crushed my leg. I wish that I would have thought through the decision to get on the trampoline before I made it. I should not have been so dumb to think that I, weighing eighty-five pounds, could take the pressure of the four eighth graders jumping around me. But as time has past, I have learned some things. I have learned that when life throws you complications, one must deal with them, and try to make the best of the situations. Furthermore, I have learned about myself. I learned that I was strong and brave. I knew that I would have to keep a smile on in order to make it through difficult days and that I had to look at the bright side, and think that it would all be over soon. After looking back I have found that silver lining. I have become an optimistic and much stronger person from this failure. I benefited greatly and will use these qualities my whole life. Failures are bad, until you see that there can be a shining glory in the end.