Greg - Batavia, Ohio

I believe I’ve had the most important job in the world for 3 years. The job did not require any training. There are very few prerequisites required to get the job and therefore we have a few sub par workers in the occupation. Perhaps, I’m using the wrong term. A job is what you do for a certain amount of time. In this profession, you will experience the greatest highs and possibly the lowest lows of your life. No one has ever perfected this occupation. I believe each person who has chosen this career path is embarking on a never-ending and most rewarding adventure. There are no sick days, vacations, or resignations. I am a parent.

As a father of three boys, two of which are living, I am responsible for molding who they become. I believe this is the most important duty in the world. Jack and Henry depend on me for food, clothing, and shelter. My promise to them is to be the best father, teacher, and role model that I can possibly be.

As a father, I look forward to their first steps, but I wince at the first painful fall. As a father, I get to relive all of the fun times I had. I get a glimpse at the imagination I use to have. As a father, I am a super-hero for 2 boys that call me Daddy. I am the biggest and strongest man in the world who can do anything. No matter how bad my day was, I have a fresh start when I get home. I hear, “Daddy, Daddy, Daddy,” as my 3 year old runs to my arms, followed by his younger brother who is crawling as fast as he can to be picked up. I get to play the best hide-and-seek games and afterwards we do impressions of the Cookie Monster. It doesn’t matter how much work or how little sleep I’ve had, I always seem to find some energy when I hear, “Come on Daddy, play trucks.” While writing, I notice I still have prune hands from the crowded bath I took earlier. Who would think that a 29-year-old man would enjoy taking a bath more than ever?

I believe there will be bittersweet days ahead; the first days of school, the first sleepover at a friend’s house, the first time they pull out of the driveway by themselves, the awkward talk about the birds and the bees. If I’m lucky, the goodbye hugs when they go off to college. Hopefully, along the way we avoid as many fights, broken bones, or poor grades as possible.

Hopefully, one day I will be telling my boys how well they are doing as fathers. I believe the most important job in the world is being responsible for the development, care, and experience of another. I believe fatherhood is the greatest career and I feel lucky that I will never have to retire.