Kaleigh - Dunwoody, Georgia

I believe in looking back: looking back at old pictures, drawings, and things I used to write. Looking back shows that I am still the same person without making me feel like I’ve never changed anything. The only parts of me that I’ve changed are the things that I’m glad I did and has also shown me to not regret anything.

I recently read a couple of old diaries that I wrote in the time period from middle school to early high school, and I have found that I still have to deal with the same problems. Of course, the problems are a bit different and bigger, but yet at the heart of it all, they are the same. Looking back I have learned a lot about who I am.

I believe if you never look back, you won’t know how to move forward. When I started to read old notes, I found myself getting angry at what I was reading. The people who wrote them to me said things that today I find laughable. By reading the old notes, I began to think about how people change yet they are still very much the same. The way you talk, and come across to others usually stay but everything else is different. Learning about my old thoughts and the way I used to think the world worked, I realize I have come a long way. Knowing this makes me feel as if any problems I face now are just little things and I will read about them in a few years knowing I got through it, and learned.

I believe I’m the exact same as my ten year old self; the same exact things still anger me in 2007 as they did in 1998. I hated how I made frequent trips to Florida to visit relatives who acted like we were best friends, when really I’d rather them be strangers. I feel the same way now, and it helps me to go on and realize that whatever happens I will always feel the same way, and I live with it. Knowing that, even though it seems like I will never change, somehow comforts me. I believe in looking back, to see forward and go on.