Nicholas - West Harrison, New York

This I believe

I believe in compassion and concern towards meaningful relationships. Sharing these connections with people leaves an everlasting emotional bond that will never be forgotten.

In February 2005, I was attending a wilderness program in Bonners Ferry, Idaho. While I was there, I was instructed by a wise and intelligent young woman named Kristina. During my struggle with the emotional insecurities, she has had a significant impact on my personal growth. For some strange reason, Kristina could always tell what was on my mind. Even if I tried to hide my frustration and sadness, somehow she always seemed to get it out of me. At first I hated her because of this, but I soon realized that my ego was just blinding me from understanding that she is truly special.

Since then, Kristina has helped me with relationships in my family. She has even encouraged me to write a powerful letter to my father. I have not seen Kristina ever since I left Idaho, but I make it my priority to call her at least once a month to reunite. Whenever we do connect, I never hang up without confronting her on the important things that really matter, such as honesty and the relationship she has with her son. Our friendship is one which I cherish and will always feel a strong appreciation for.

My brother and I have a slightly different relationship. We feel a strong connection towards one another, probably more than we could ever say. Although we do not communicate very well sometimes, we help each other make those important decisions. At times, I feel as if he is my personal consultant which I pay by returning the favor.

During our childhood, my brother has saved my life once when I was drowning. It was summer vacation, and my family all went up to Lake George for the weekend. My brother and I were fishing by the side of the lake, when he asked me if I wanted to swim out to this island we saw. After we started swimming, I realized that the island was farther than I thought. My arms and legs began to slowly become fatigue until I finally went under. I remember looking up and seeing the surface. All of the sudden, an arm which had been sent from God reached down and grabbed me around the shoulder. My brother rescued me to shore and allowed me to live another day.

Throughout my young adult life, I have had many relationships and interactions with different kinds of people. Some have been quick and simple acquaintances while others have turned out to be life long connections. One thing is for sure, real relationships only occur when both parties can show compassion. In times of conflict and downfall, only true relationships withstand challenges and overcome obstacles. There must be a level of concern which can be felt thousands of miles away.