Dawn - LaGrange, Illinois

I believe that life’s truth comes in moments.

I am a photographer- not by profession – not as a hobby – but as someone who venerates the spontaneous beauty that surrounds us all, each and every moment. As long as I can remember I have been compelled to capture the fleeting images that manifest around me.

I need to capture the peach glow that emanates from a sleeping child’s face, the moment a rumpled street vendor braces himself against the blue-cold wind and the instant an urban crowd of pedestrians merge in the shadows to be as solid as the buildings they walk amongst.

I sometimes wonder what others see when they view my images. Do they see the joyful and tenuous expectation of the bride expressed in the swirl of her dress as she propels her body forward in my frame? Do they see the irony of the orthodox priest oblivious to the young, citybrash youth he passes on the street? Do they question the vacant expression of a face in the bus window or see the transcendence in the luminous beam of light that defines friends at lunch?

As I look at my captures they feel to me like reservoirs of what life is made of – joy, sorrow, light and dark. In some small way my photos are a testament to the tenure and serendipity of that place and time. The satisfaction for me comes in being part of that unique event no matter how small or transitory – being there as witness to its power and a recorder of the miracle of that moment.

Some people might call me a shutterbug or maybe a photographer but I call myself a lover of the surprises of life – open to the creative possibility and the truth in each and every moment.