Kari - Young Harris, Georgia
Themes: community

How Big are Your Shoes?

I remember when I was a little girl, putting on my mother’s pumps, and walking around the house. I was fulfilling that life long saying or walking in someone else’s shoes, right? Wrong, but it was worth a try. Now that I am much older, I can’t do that anymore. I have outgrown those shoes. But there are shoes that I can not see, but they are there and they are rather large. These are the shoes of her life, the shoes that have been everywhere, and have been through it all. There are lots of things that she does that really amaze me how can she possibly do all that, and still love me? I have never had to walk in her shoes, but there are other shoes around me that I can walk in.

There are at least four hundred students at Young Harris College, and I have maybe only met one hundred of them. But out of those one hundred, I have seen so many different backgrounds, and I judge them. America is a country where change is not an option. But what if I made it an option? To take someone else’s place would be a drastic change. I would be out of my normal everyday attire, away from my schedule, and in a completely different crowd. But it would give me a complete sense of why that person is the way they are. I would see the life they have lived, the life they are living, and the life they are going to live, and I wouldn’t judge them anymore. If I go around and do that to all one hundred students that I have met, I would have one hundred more friends. And if those one hundred friends filled the shoes of people they have met, then eventually Young Harris would be a different place. A college where everyone is a friend, not an enemy, a companion and not a judge.

I am not trying to solve world peace because I know that is impossible. But I do that I can make the world a better place. Imagine if everyone in America was a friend; it would still be that large melting pot, but it would change the segregation of that pot. People would no longer judge by the color of skin, or background, or intelligence, for that matter, because they would understand. They would understand the life they lived, the life they are living, and the life they are going to live. This I believe.