Sean - Webster, New York
Themes: family, work

Desire. This word encompasses my grandfather. This word was planted into my father. This word means taking pride in what you do. This word is a way of life. Desire can get any person anywhere in life; any aspect of life that is desired can be achieved. A slight edge or confidence is necessary, though, as though to tell people to get out of your way. By living and breathing this way, as both my father and grandfather did, there is no worthy obstacle in the way of happiness. Many people say that life is a roller coaster, but I would have to disagree. I am under the impression that life is more like a plane ride, with you in the cockpit as the pilot. Yes, there are ups and downs as in a rollercoaster, but the power to make them happen lies in your hands.

Imagine lifting, carrying and transporting 50 pound barrels on and off a ferry every summer day. Imagine carrying dirty bags of soil, large clay pots and jugs of water. This was my father’s life for a few summers as a teenager. He came home every day, absolutely exhausted, and would try to talk to his friends, who would wake up at noon, eat some lunch and watch some TV, but struggled to stay awake. My father always seemed to be proud of his work, even though he never worked a very glamorous job when he was younger.

I think that this sense of pride in my father came from my grandfather, who was a very hard worker as well. For example, my grandpa, struggling to pay his bills, needed a job early in his marriage around the Rochester area. There were very few jobs available, yet he still went job searching. Turned down time after time, he didn’t give up because he desired supporting his family. One day he went to a factory to ask about a job. He walked into the factory, machines blaring and screeching and the smell of gas filled the air. Into the boss’s office he went, and he inquired about a job. This particular employer seemed to like my grandfather for whatever reason, but couldn’t give him a job because there were no openings. The boss encouraged him to come back at a later date in case someone left. My grandpa came back the next day, but there were no openings. He came back the next day and the next day, continuing this process religiously for weeks. The boss got so sick of seeing him day after day that he finally gave him the position that didn’t need to be filled.

Anhelo. This word is Latin for desire. Desire is a way of life, and means taking things to the next level. No matter what language, desire produces one result: success. I believe that if you want something you go get it. Period. There are no questions or excuses, but there will be difficulties. Although I haven’t had any problems to the degree of my father or grandfather yet in my life, I know that they will come, and I will be hitting some turbulence, so I am flipping on the “buckle your seat-belt” sign and taking the stick.