Brandon - Riverview, MI 48193, Michigan

“How far from home?”

I believe that you should take your ambitions into full effect and never settle for less. Don’t give up on something you believe in regardless of how others interpret it. The thing I want most in my life right now is to get my degree and move out of Michigan so I can experience what is out in the world.

Have you ever found yourself day dreaming about what will come into your life a year from now? Did you ever have plans for yourself that ended up becoming a constant change? I’m twenty years old and a sophomore in college. I go to school part time and work full time. My pursuit of a degree is further away in time because of this situation. I’m constantly in the clouds dreaming up a plethora of opportunities that still come across my mind about my life and my education. I’ve looked at schools out of state and in state. I’ve sought out different careers to choose from. I’ve changed my major twice, and feel like this has held me back from taking a charge at my current degree. The biggest reason why I want my degree sooner is because all my life, I’ve dreamed of seeing the world.

Regardless of what tomorrow holds, I’m trying to grasp a hold on today. I’m starting to see what it takes to be in the workplace. I’ve got plans that sometimes feel bigger than me. I hope to move to a major city once I graduate from college to continue my education in culinary arts. For me, I strive to be entirely on my own, miles away from home. Some of my family members think that it’s bizarre that I feel this way, as if I’m trying to run away from home. The main reason why I feel like culinary arts is my ticket out of Michigan is mainly because food is a universal language. Then there’s sometimes where I’m not convinced that culinary is something I completely want to do. I have thoughts of pursuing food writing or hospitality management as well, but I feel like if I don’t pursue a degree now, it’ll be forever till I’m ever out of here.

I have a passion to succeed and that’s everything that’s driving me to be something, and to do something more with my life than I could’ve ever imagined. Like I said before, I sit on cloud nine dreaming up possibilities. School is what keeps my feet planted firmly on the ground. I want to prove to myself that I can take the challenge of being a person in their early 20’s to go into a profession and just leave people speechless for questioning my work ethic or even abilities from the beginning. I guess deep down inside, I’m looking for something that’s going to make me go, “wow…I actually did it.” I know my parents are proud of me in anything I do, but for once I’d like to feel as proud as they do about something I’ve accomplished.