Monica - Webster, New York

I believe in girlfriends being able to get together and stuff their faces. It was our first Girls’ Night Out on Valentines Day of seventh grade, when a moment of seriousness swept over my friends and I as Merielle said, “I think we should promise to have a Girls’ Night Out every Valentines Day from now until the end of high school.” There was a buzz of excitement as we all agreed.

It was our last year of middle school together, and we kept our promise and had a Girls’ Night Out. High school was coming, and we made plans to hang out all the time to become closer than ever before. Little did we know, it would be two years until we were all together again. Different schedules would rip us apart. Ninth and tenth grade passed with no Girls’ Night Out. Eleventh grade came around, and I was sitting in Physics when Merielle turned around, and said, “I think we should try to have another Girls’ Night Out.” I agreed, and the planning began.

Meeting at the movie theater, we hauled our junk into my mom’s car. A sparkling, slightly hysteric, laughter rang out across the parking lot as we slipped back in synch with one another. As “The Holiday,” the movie we were watching, progressed, not a single eye was dry, either from the sadness or the idiocy for the main characters. Once the movie ended, we got up and rushed to the bathroom with one thought in mind: keep ourselves from peeing in our pants. Smashing in like frantic buffalo being attacked by chanting, paint covered Native Americans, we took over almost every stall. My mom and Merielle’s mom picked us up and took us to Hegedorn’s, a local supermarket, where we ran from aisle to aisle splurging on cookie dough, Doritos, Nilla Wafers, Nutella, Kool-aid, chocolate chip cookies, After Eight Mints, Perry’s Ice Cream, Gummy Bears, soda, Cheddar Sun Chips, and Reduced Fat Cheez-Its.

Laughing we arrived at my house and sank into discussion, while pigging out. Each girl blushed a rosy red as we went through and talked about what has changed about her since the last time we were together. Swiftly we changed from hysteric insanity to seriousness as we began a heated discussion about religion and what it means to each of us. We discussed Roman Catholicism, Buddhism, Christianity, and Atheism. It was fascinating to find out how different our views really were. Ellen has grown in her faith over the years and was able to share her views on Roman Catholicism, while Krysta has learned a lot about Buddhism and was able to share that. As we discussed what we each believe, Falon suddenly said, “I don’t like beliefs. A ‘belief’ is set in stone. Instead, people should have ideas, that way they can change as you change.” Silence fell as we thought about this, until Alyssa went, “Hey! Pass the gummy bears please!” We could have died laughing, but we settled down, and went back to our discussion, where Ellen and Jess both disagreed. I found it truly amazing that we could openly disagree but never offend each other.

Real friends can get along and remain good friends despite differences in beliefs, ideas, and mannerisms. I believe that true friendship is unconditional, that despite growing differences a person can always accept someone whom they call a “friend.”