Christina - Webster, New York

When I was younger, I couldn’t swing a bat, I tripped over my clumsy feet when I ran, I could never keep my balance while running with a soccer ball, and I even dreaded the vicious gym class. So, for those reasons, I was turned off by all sports. My sister, who could swing a field hockey stick with grace, always seemed more athletic than me. For that, I envied her. I think she realized my jealousy, because she kept pushing me to try out for the field hockey team. “You could always quit,” she told me, but I did not want to let myself down and quit. Finally, I collected all of my so called “courage” and firmly decided I would join the field hockey team. Sports would scare me no more, I thought.

Finally, the day of the first practice had come. That day in school, my palms were sweaty and my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest. It was so loud, in fact, that the quiet boy all of the way in the back of the room could probably hear my frantic heart beat. Constant haunting thoughts ran through my head: “Did I forget something?” “Will I like my coach or any of the other girls trying out?” “Am I ready for this?”

After a few days of tryouts, I couldn’t believe that I actually made the team! I was so proud of myself for accomplishing something that I thought I would never be able to. Even though practices were grueling, there were so many positive things I gained form this sport. I learned the meaning of dedication, effort, friendships, discipline, and developing a passion. My experience with field hockey had benefited me so much and even improved my self confidence that I knew I had to keep this sport apart of the rest of my life.

One game in our season of this past year, my team had lost miserably. But, I will always remember that game, because my heart and love for the sport shone through. I saved six potential goals on the goal line and I am only a defender. The feeling I had then and any other time I play field hockey is indescribable. Those feelings help me realize that I was missing out on what sports and even gym class have to offer. No longer do I stumble over myself or dread gym class. As strange as it may sound, I actually look forward to gym now.

I believe in holding onto passions. A passion is an extravagant fondness or enthusiasm for something which should be grasped once found. Discovering one of my passions helps me realize that I will have many more internal struggles throughout my life, but some of them will only benefit me. And maybe even some of my tussles will lead to another fondness that I will carry with me for a lifetime.