Charles - east gull lake, Minnesota
Themes: community

I believe we have the power not to judge others based on looks, color, and economic status. I believe in freeing ourselves from outside influences that create labels. I believe in taking responsibility for our own thoughts and actions. We live in a WORLD and society where religious beliefs and bible scriptures tells us to love and treat one another as our neighbor, but yet we continue to allieniate individuals for being different and unique. I grew up in South Dakota where minorities are at a minimal and the pace of life is on a even kiel. I have lived in Minneapolis, Chicago, and attended a Big Ten University. Far and foremost the best experinece of my life besides having a wonderful wife and two kids was a back packing trip to Europe in 1993. Myself,friend Steve set off to the Netherlands, Greece, Paris, concentration camps in Germany and shook the hand of Pope John Paul in Rome. A very emotional journey. To see the people, cultures, and different way of life is unique. We not only live in a county, state, or country – we live a large and complex WORLD. That is what I take away from this experience. Look at life in the big picture and realize that sometimes our viewpoints and behavior is wrapped up in our own little world. By being compassionate and understading of others we can allveiate some of the pressures we put on ourselves to accept others. I believe this is something all of us can do. I believe acceptance and tolerance can create happiness and joy. Through the power of our mind we can control how we as indiviuals accept people. Take care of yourself and don’t worry so much about what others are doing. Look yourself in the mirror first before you criticize, we can better ourselves. This I believe.