Bonnie - Pompano Beach, Florida

I believe in the Law of Equifinality – that there can be many different ways to reach a common goal.

I learned about maps at an early age. When I was a little girl, we sometimes took long road trips, and I remember my Dad going to Triple A to get a Triptik – showing the easiest, most direct route to our destination. There would also be larger maps, showing the surrounding area. Sometimes we would stay on the direct route, but sometimes we would take intentional (or unintentional) detours. Sometimes we’d hit a dead end and have to backtrack, but we always eventually found a way forward and reached our destination. Sometimes the detours were scary and it seemed we would be lost forever. Sometimes they were a lot of fun. Any detour offered the opportunity to learn something.

I believe that the destination of every human being is to reunite with God, the Source of the universe, whether we call It Allah, or God, or Yahweh, Spirit, or Source, or something else. Some of the pathways leading to God are broad and well trodden, like interstate highways. They have names like Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, Confucianism, or Christianity. Some are like wilderness trails, only as wide as the footsteps of one person. There are many intersections among the paths, and many opportunities to detour. But I believe that every person on this planet is being drawn toward the Source, whatever spiritual paths they choose to travel.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could respect each other’s choice of path? Maybe we could share maps, and teach each other what we’ve learned along the way, instead of insisting that ours is the only way possible. I believe that God welcomes everyone who reaches the goal, regardless of the route or how long the journey takes.