Lindsey - Webster, New York
Themes: place

My heart races as we speed towards the pier down Lake Road, with its lush nighttime canopy of trees. When I look to my left, I see the quiet, glassy lake making waves, lapping gently against the shore. This is just one of the landmarks that comes to mind when my hometown of Webster comes to mind. I believe that your hometown is a big part of who you are because it is where you can go back to your roots. Seemingly insignificant components of a small town, such as the close proximity of friends and family or a simple coffee house, have the potential to become components of making countless memories.

My friends and I know the town inside and out and there is always something to do. Unfortunately, just because there is something to do, doesn’t mean it is something new and things can get repetitive after awhile, with limited places to go.. Almost every night consists of going to our favorite coffee house called earthtones, to listen to the mellow live music and smell the scent of fresh chai. However, sometimes even the thought of a new campus coffee house wins over earthtones.

I want to go out of state for college because I want to fulfill the part of me that is looking for adventure and constant action: the city in my mind. This is when I wish for a big city and all it has to offer. Another thing a city has that Webster lacks are the lights, the action, and the energetic nightlife that I long for. When you come to Webster you’d better be ready to expect quiet suburbia with the exception of the one corner of town near Holt Road where the giant plaza has recently been constructed.

Even though the city sounds very enticing at times, I would miss this place immeasurably if I did move away. I would miss the Webster charm with its quaint Webster village, with its old-fashioned store fronts. Or all of our quiet suburbia neighborhoods nestled in this little town on the lake. I have met some of the best friends I will ever have in this town, and hopefully I will continue to remain friends with them for life. When someone says, “Webster,” certain things come to mind: my friends and all the places we like to hang out such as Earthtones, Webster Park, Wegmans (the local grocery store) or even someone’s house.

For example, one night this summer we went to Wegmans, which in Webster many kids confuse for a hangout. We picked up a few half gallons of mint chocolate chip and cookie dough ice cream with plastic spoons and went to the pier to eat them and watch the deep red August sunset. Then, something unexpected happened: two Webster police officers with their flashlights, out on their nightly patrol of the park; common in this little town of Webster, broke into our little ice cream party asking if we were drinking. Obviously, we were not, and after they left, it made me realize something. I am lucky to have my roots here in Webster because I think that plays a huge part in who I am as a person. I am very lucky to have my small town friends that I do and how they have influenced me in a very positive way, which might not have happened if I lived in a big city. It is as though I have several unofficial brothers and sisters. Although they are all very protective of me, I can talk to them about anything.

Primo Levi once said, “I live in my house as I live inside my skin: I know more beautiful, more ample, more sturdy and more picturesque skins: but it would seem to me unnatural to exchange them for mine.” I agree with this statement because although it may not be the best place on earth; my heart, my home, my family and friends all reside in Webster. If one day I do move away for college or other reasons, I know that Webster will always be my true home. I believe that everyone’s hometown will always have a special place in their heart even though sometimes we pretend we would rather live somewhere else.