Micah - Grand Rapids, Michigan

I believe in the power of M*A*S*H*. I believe that we are in a society which makes ‘normal’ life a constant struggle and a grinding experience. Like the doctors of the 4077th, we wade around in the blood of our dreams and sweat through the heat of our problems, yet somehow we find the ability to laugh. Like the draftees we are trapped many times in an existence which seems interminable, yet the very seeming eternal nature of our struggle draws us every closer to those who join us. Like M*A*S*H*, we all have our Frank Burns, people who are more obsessed with the function of life than the fulfillment of it. Yet even those people add to our experience by showing us how miserable life could truly be if we choose to let it. True, our days do not begin with a montage of Suicide Is Painless, nor do they end with a neatly wrapped plotline or pithy saying, however, in the spirit of M*A*S*H*, our days are a wrenching, numbing, hilarious series of proofs that we can still laugh at life and draw comfort from those who accompany us.