Leslie - Ashburn, Virginia

My Best Friend

I believe in best friends for life. I suspect that there are not too many women that can say they have a best friend that they have known all of their lives. I mean, from the moment of conception, practically, I can say that with profound pride that my best friend and I have shared stuff for 55 years. I believe that our parents were intended to purchase semi detached homes side by side just for the purpose of our meeting. I believe that each of our families had five siblings, my and my friend being the middle children and exactly the same age was no coincidence. I believe that God planted my friend just for me. Our bond was molded on the shores of Rehoboth Beach, Maryland in 1952 during a family vacation to Tent Village. It would be a friendship that would last our lifetime. Although our paths have taken different roads throughout our lives, we keep ending up in the same place. I believe that our destinies were intended exactly as they have been. I believe that best friends help us keep life simple. They are our true source of strength. I know that there is nothing in my life that I cannot accomplish or endure, but at my darkest moments, my best friend is always standing beside me cheering me on. She cuts my burdens in half and doubles my joys. I have often wondered how I deserve to have such a friend indeed. I believe that God created our friendship with just that purpose in mind. I believe that my best friend is in the likeness of me. She redirects my spirit to my higher power when she knows his divine intervention is required. She purposely falls short on advice when she sees I already get it. She fills me up with hope when she sees I am struggling. I am truly blessed with my best friend. As I view our photo as little toddler girls, holding hands, on the shores of Rehoboth Beach in 1952, I am amazed at our friendship has uniquely shaped our lives.